Rowan’s Quilt

I recently finished a quilt for the latest addition to our family, my niece Rowan. I used a deceptively simple pattern for it called Square Play. I really liked how it turned out as it gave each of the fabrics that I used a chance to really pop out.
IMG_2855.jpg

This was a nerve wracking quilt to make. It was the first quilt I’ve ever made where I ordered all of the fabrics for it online. Have I mentioned that color matching based on photos online is a little unnerving? Are the colors true? Are the proportions right? You get the idea. The story ends well, since I’m pleased with the results.
IMG_2857.jpg

If you want to see more pictures of the quilt, just click on one of the photos and that will take you to the set on Flickr.

Since I’d like to start keeping a list of what fabrics I use for each of the quilts, I figure here’s a good forum for that. So here goes.
Prince Charming Turtle Bay, Aqua
Valori Wells Wrenly Wildfield, Gypsy
Valori Wells Wrenly Rosette, Cerulea
Valori Wells Wrenly Bloom, Cobalt Blue
Valori Wells Wrenly Ingrid, Cobalt
Valori Wells Wrenly Wildfield, Cobalt
Valori Wells Wrenly Wildfield, Cherry
Valori Wells Wrenly Boho Stripe, Cerulean
Valori Wells Wrenly Bloom, Citrus
Valori Wells Wrenly Wren, Cobalt Blue
Valori Wells Wrenly Bloom, Mandarin

A Study In Purple

I swear there was a reason I’ve been absent the past couple of weeks of posting here. It involves me, some friends getting married and the fact that they didn’t register anywhere for gifts. So, 3 weeks ago, I started to panic a little bit about what to get them for a wedding gift (Sean was blissfully unaware of this as most guys are when it comes to wedding gifts). That was when I decided to make them a small quilt. Just something to snuggle underneath on the couch, but big enough to use.

Jeff is a Kansas State alumn and Suny’s favorite color is purple, so it became obvious what color the quilt would be.
IMG_1887.jpg

I didn’t want to do anything terribly difficult because I knew I’d be on a deadline with little time (read: weekends) to work on it. Strip quilt! I had 7 fabrics all based on a batik that I already had in my fabric stash. After hanging those on my design wall, I decided to shake it up a bit and added an 8th strip to repeat that was a combination of the other 7 fabrics. So, each strip repeats 3 times in the quilt.

IMG_1935.jpg

To frame out such a continuous amount of color, I decided to just go for a simple black border. It’s 4 inches in width which gives it a nice frame and increases the size of the quilt decently enough.

IMG_1936.jpg

I went with a simple black backing as well, but to keep it from being boring and since I was going to have to piece the back anyway, I tossed in a strip of the concentration fabric from the front.

IMG_1944.jpg

I used the stippling method for quilting so that the curves would keep the quilt from being too straight and boring. It was fun to quilt using that method, but definitely hard. After that, it was just a matter of binding the edges and I was done. A little of the batik found it’s way into the binding as well. 😉

IMG_1945.jpg

Overall, I’m really pleased with the results. I’m still learning and this is the first time I’ve used a machine to quilt in ages (the past several quilts have been hand quilted), but I’m pleased with it and I’m sure my friends will enjoy it. Hope you guys like the pics! Hopefully this weekend, I’ll resume my weekly menu posts at the very least.